Friday, January 19, 2007

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Oatmeal is a treat I wasn’t sure I would be able to enjoy again until I ordered pure, uncontaminated oatmeal from Cream Hill Estates in Quebec. Hooray! I ordered a 25 pounds of rolled oats, and I've been experimenting with all kinds of cookies and muffins. I've been converting all my beloved granola recipes, too, and I can't wait to make a proper rhubarb or apple crisp.

Be sure to use only pure, uncontaminated oats before making these for celiac friends, and bear in mind that some celiacs can't tolerate even pure and uncontaminated oats, and it's nothing personal. (See the Canadian Celiac Association's statement on oats here.)


1/2 cup butter

1 cup brown sugar

1 large egg

1/2 tsp GF vanilla

1/4 tsp almond extract

1/2 cup brown rice flour

1/4 cup amaranth flour

1/4 cup potato starch

1/2 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp GF baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips (or to taste)

Cream butter and sugar very lightly, just until combined. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and almond extract. Combine flour, baking powder, soda, coconut, and oats. Mix well. Add to creamed mixture and stir. Stir in chocolate chips until well distributed.

Drop by the teaspoonful, spaced 2 inches apart, onto a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 8 to 10 minutes, until light golden. The cookies will have spread. Cool on the pan before transferring to racks or to your mouth.

Makes about 40 cookies.