Thursday, January 18, 2007

My Wheat's End

Welcome. I've known I was gluten intolerant for three years, and I've never felt better than since I realized I was at My Wheat's End. I'm grateful to have a disease that is curable by being mindful about my food.

My family is full of celiacs, and there's celiac disease in my husband's family, too. This is plenty of incentive to experiment. We have far too many Irish ancestors for anyone's good health, and the Scottish ancestors haven't helped broaden the genetic pool by much. But, on the positive side, I have at least five celiacs to cook and bake gluten-free foods for, and this is plenty of incentive to experiment with adapting recipes.

I enjoy cooking and adapting recipes and will use this site to post successes and, if I'm feeling self-revelatory, failures. The adaptations are likely to be idiosyncratic rather than scientific. I keep about 15 1.5l mason jars full of different GF flours in my cupboard, and I tend to mix a little from this jar, a little from that jar. If what I cook turns out well, I don't question either the methods or the results much. That leaves lots of scope for others to experiment, I figure, and it leaves me with an argument that I'm actually less perfectionistic than is widely believed.

Bon appetit! Be well!