Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Gluten-Free Morning Glory Muffins

I keep meaning to make a more low-fat version of these muffins, which are much too much like carrot cake for breakfast in the incarnation described below.

However, every time I set out to make the muffins, I find I have all kinds of vegetable oil and absolutely noto a scratch of the plain yogurt I would need for the low-fat version). And then I think of the lovely crunch to the muffin top in the not-even-close-to-low-fat version, and somehow, I've made carrot cake for breakfast. Again.


Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl:
3/4 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup amaranth flour (or another 3/4 cup brown rice flour)
1/2 cup tapioca or potato starch
1/4 cup flaxseed meal (optional)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar (or evaporated cane sugar)
2 tsp cinnamon

Stir in evenly:
2 cups grated carrot
1/2 cup nuts or pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries or other chopped dried fruit
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 apple, peeled, cored, and grated

In a separate small bowl, beat:
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla

Stir the wet ingredients into the flour-fruit-nut mixture until just combined.

Dollop into well-greased muffin tins.

Bake at 375F for 20 minutes. Makes 15 nice, fat muffins.